Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Two Truths to Motherhood



Okay, so I recently saw these two images on Facebook and had to share them. Lately, I have had two concerns that these images address...

1. I feel like there is not enough time in the day. Time for work... grading, preparing, lecturing, helping students, projects, meetings.... and then Family... diapers, make meals, wash clothes, diapers, potty training, diapers, snacks, games, charts, diapers, activities, workbooks, Play Doh... and Marriage... time together, time alone, arguing, laughing, loving, finances, kids, jobs.... and Friends... Wait.      Friends?      Who has time for friends?

Man I have been a crappy friend the last few years. I have three really wonderful excuses for it, but still, the guilt (and incredible sadness) it brings me...

2. I am back to pre baby size. But post baby pounds do not look the same as pre baby pounds. I like to say that my body has evolved much like a rubber balloon... Once it was firm, tight, shiny and new. Then, once used for it's God given purpose, it became wonderfully round, plush, and beautiful. Everyone wants to touch it! 

Once it became no longer used, it deflated. And now looks thin, gaunt, stretched out and scarred.

My image bothers me a lot. Specifically, my stomach, which looks much like the one above. And the fact that my image bothers me a lot bothers me even more. This photo helps me remember why my tummy, although much different now, is still a place on my body that I should be proud of.

4 comments:

Rachel Smith said...

So true Traci, on so many levels. Just know that you're not the only one whose tummy looks like that. I even weigh less than I did pre-kids and I look just like that picture. Except add in a gigantic C-Section Scar which is super duper awesome :) It is what it is. I now understand why my mom always wore pants around her WAIST and not her HIPS. LOL. And there are days where I feel like my co-workers are my only friends. And they're just by default because I see them every day. I feel like a crappy friend quite often, but then I remember that all the people I hung out with in my 20s are in the same boat. Someday we'll all come back together and be able to do fun stuff. But right now, with tons of little kids, it's just too hard. So instead we follow blogs and keep up on Facebook. Virtual Friendships :) Means I love ya just as much as I did when I saw you everyday in Cedar Falls!!!!!!!

MamaGottaRun said...

Thanks Rach! Love and miss you too.

Jen said...

I am soooo in love with this post! You have hit the nail on the head with so muh of what you have written. You are a great momma and great friend!

Susan VanLaere said...

I really want you to know this is sooo sooo true on so many levels... I miss good ole days of singers parties and hanging out at the apartment...but GOD handed me four precious gifts that take precidence over all! Someday we will all have time to have adult time again...and I do thank God we have facebook, etc. to keep in touch! Thank u for sharing this...it really touched my heart Traci! U have a beautiful family!
Susan VanLaere