Thursday, January 30, 2014

2 Year Check


Walter became sick with a virus over his birthday. Cold symptoms, heavy breathing, raspy voice, low grade fever... He finally about 5 days later, is acting like himself. These pictures are from Monday, after a doctor appointment, when he really wasn't feeling well at all.



Walter had his 2 year well child checkup today. His head circumference is in the 90% (19 1/4 in), his weight is in the 75% (28 lbs, 14 ounces), and his height is in the 50% (34 1/2 in). He is doing everything he is supposed to be doing and really healthy overall. The doctor seemed impressed with his vocabulary he said about 30 different words while we were there (including iPad, thank you, no more, school bus and others) and he is supposed to have a total vocabulary of just 20 words by now to be on track. He is really doing well intellectually. He still looks like a baby and hasn't made the whole switch to looking like a toddler physically yet, but I am good with him taking his time on that :) Makes me sad.

Last night he took his diaper off, put the potty seat on the toilet, climbed up to it, and sat. And waited. And waited longer. Nothing happened, but that is still a pretty big sign that he is getting ready to potty train. He started in the Two's Room this week which makes my pocketbook happy but the mommy in me sad. I can't believe how fast these two years have gone. Having a 2, 3 and 5 year old can be a challenge most some days, but soon I will look back wonder where the time went. Hazel and Gus have birthdays this spring and are acting so much older than they did even this past summer.

But back to Wally. His favorite foods are hot dogs, crackers, fig newtons, fruit snacks, bananas, cuties, string cheese, orange juice, pop tarts and will eat anything that he can dip in ketchup or ranch dressing. Walter enjoys coloring with crayons and markers, loves play doh, really likes watching TV and playing games on the iPad, loves toy cars and dinosaurs, likes playing with baby dolls, and more than anything, loves playing with Hazel and Gus. Walter can sort of say his alphabet, can sort of count to eight, recites Grace at mealtime, says so many words it's ridiculous (thank you, welcome, love you, good night, etc), and can point out nearly any major body part. I'm certain having two older siblings that are learning letters, numbers and basic math help his skill sets as well.

Walter loves being rocked at night, sleeps with two huge stuffed dogs (still in his crib at night, but sometimes in his toddler bed or a cot for nap), is gentle and kind, rough and tough, sensitive and strong, and has the silliest personality. He loves dancing and singing, and likes to take a try at the piano when I let him.

We cannot imagine our lives without him. I remember that when I found out I was pregnant with him I was nervous; it was a difficult adjustment at first. God obviously had a greater plan for my life as a mother than I, and I am so thankful that He did. Gus, Hazel and little Walter have really added new meaning to my life (and let's be honest a little stress too!) that I am very fortunate to have experienced. Here's to another crazy year of being a mommy!

No comments: