Thursday, January 15, 2009

Learning to Crawl

Not crawling, but scooting slowly off the blanket this morning.

I have been working with Gus on crawling a lot lately. Last night, Josh and I really thought he was going to do it. Earlier today I placed him on the center of this blanket, with toys just off of it's edges to tempt him a little. I went to the kitchen and cleaned for about 20 minutes and when I went back to check on him, he had, albeit slowly, crept backward off the blanket- away from the toys. I watched him then for a while and he seemed to think he was going forwards but would go backwards instead. How frustrating it must be to be a baby learning to move around!

So we are having 'stranger anxiety' issues with Gus when he has gone to daycare the last two days. He basically cries the entire time he is there. It is the same sitter he used before break, so he should know her. I have been reading a lot online about it, and although his seems like he has it pretty bad, since he doesn't easily forget that Josh or I aren't there, it is normal for infants between 8-10 months to get it- even with familiar faces like a sitter. In fact, it is a milestone in development. Patience is the best way to handle it, I read... but does anyone have any other suggestions? He just has to learn that we will come back to get him.

I am trying to do things to help him get over it. This morning I had Gus play by himself in his crib for an hour, then I fed and changed him, and then he played alone in his room for another two hours. I just had him on his blanket downstairs for twenty minutes alone, I was in another room, and he was fine. He really hasn't cried at all today, and I haven't been with him that much at all- only for the necessities. At daycare, he has wanted to be held all the time, which is weird, because I basically only carry him when we change rooms- he is waaay to heavy for me to carry around.

I am just a little perplexed and Sandie, our daycare provider, thought it might be a good idea to blog about it and see if anyone has any suggestions. Help??

2 comments:

ToTalkToReba said...

Oh, stranger anxiety! One thing I read was to take something from home (that gives him lots of comfort, blanket, toy, stuffed animal) and leave it at day care. Worth a shot at least.Love, Nicole

Shannon Farage said...

I've had this problem with all of my kids when I would try to leave them with their aunt and sometimes even their grandma. I never tried it but i've heard recording your voice either singing or reading a story and giving it to his daycare to play for him might help. Good luck, it is so hard leaving them when their upset but he will work through it.