Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Color Storm 5K


This past weekend I ran my second official 5K, the Color Storm. It was a pretty fun race (even though it actually only ended up being 2.7 miles instead of 3.1 which was frustrating for those of us runners who were trying to beat previous times). In the words of my running Rockford friends, I Crushed It. I am really proud of myself (above picture is at the start of the race, me in the pink headband). 



During the run.


Being drenched with color mid-race. There were 4 phases of color (and blasts of water) throughout the run.


Me crossing the finish line. I ran as fast as I could this race (totally didn't work on my form, just on time, as my knees for two days after the race could attest!). But I really did improve tremendously from my first 5K in May. If you recall in May I ran the EF5K in Parkersburg, IA and my time according to posted results, although I feel this time was off by about 10-15 seconds on the heavy side, was 29:22.

The Color Storm results are published but I averaged 8:09 per mile, with a time of 21:10 (remember though it wasn't quite a true 5K) and placed 7th of 562 female (all ages) registrants. I realize this wasn't a very serious race, lots of families and groups of friends just having fun, but it still felt pretty awesome- and still does.


Here is a pick of my friend Amy that ran the race with me. She placed 2nd overall in the female category- she is very very very fast. But also a big supporter.

So now I am wondering when I can officially call myself a runner... 

I have not been a runner -ever- in my life before now. I was talking with my mom last night and she reminded me that I quit 7th grade track about 3 weeks in because the coach didn't know my name and knew everyone else's names (and I must remind you that I went to a teeny tiny school, where really, he should have attempted to know). Oh, and I suppose I should mention that I was really slow (or so I thought!). But, I definitely couldn't call myself a runner. 

Then I didn't run again for about 20 years. It wasn't until I saw friends running who really enjoyed it, as well as the lack of free time I now had for my hour and half walks, that I considered trying it out. You can burn more calories in a shorter amount of time with running versus walking.

Now I have been running 10-15 miles per week for the last 6 months, I have ran two official 5K races, I just shelled out real money for a pair of running shoes, and I absolutely love going outside, running with the sun on my face, blasting Pandora, feeling that feeling of being so tired but then the sense of accomplishment that comes from pushing on. 

Some running friends are coming to KC in the fall and we are hoping to do a race together. I am definitely enjoying my new found sport, and feel great. This morning I ran 7 miles, currently my longest distance. Like I said, not sure I am a Runner yet, but I do have to be getting close :)

No comments: