Saturday, July 13, 2013

Dillavou News

Well this has been a really fast, super crazy, incredibly busy, but splendidly wonderful summer so far. I have just one more week of summer classes left (3 days actually), and then about 4 weeks off until I report back in mid August. It has been great being home with the kids, as I only leave the house a few hours, four days each week to teach one summer 6-week class (my other one this summer is online). And although I have enjoyed it immensely, it has been a little difficult keeping up with the kids while still trying to work some. Lately it seems I only have time to post pictures with brief captions on here, so I wanted to offer a written update on what we have up to to.

Gus has had a fun summer so far. He played T-ball on a team of mostly neighborhood boys and girls in May and June, some of them he'll be going to kindergarten with this fall. I am trying to teach him how swim. He wants to learn, because most the kids his age don't wear life jackets anymore it seems, but he just isn't quite brave enough. Gus must be growing because he eats more than Josh does most nights. Sometimes 2, 3, or even 4 servings of food! He is super silly, a little loud, has such a kind, soft heart, enjoys singing and dancing around the house, loves drawing, and is getting better and better with his numbers and letters. We are thinking he will try karate in the fall, and maybe a session of a traditional sport too. His eyes seem the same, but he has a 6 month exam in two weeks. No change is good, in all honestly, I've pretty much given up on better news. Nearly every exam in the last 3 years has resulted in a slightly worse prescription each time. Glasses aren't a huge deal in the big picture of life, although we will probably crack down and thin his lenses this time so that school kids aren't as apt to notice how thick his bifocals are.

Hazel. She is so awesome. I have to constantly remind myself that she has only been three a few months. She seems so much older. She is a good mommy to Walter (and her countless babies and stuffed animals). Hazel loves to snuggle but likes her space at times too. She is a little addicted to me, but like I said, I've been home with the kids a lot this summer so that is to be expected I suppose. She is finishing up her second month of gymnastics and is so skilled at it! I don't love the gym she is at, I don't think she is challenged enough- and she starts to get bored. I'm not saying she is a super star or anything, but with an older brother at home that she intellectually keeps up with most moments, she is more mature than some of her classmates and when they need extra, she gets bored. We'll probably have her try soccer this fall, and maybe try gymnastics again this winter with a new gym. I am also teaching her to swim, but she is such a fish she'll probably teach herself soon. Hazel is pretty tough, which isn't surprising with her having two brothers. She plays so well with Gus and with Walter both, and plays really well by herself too.

Walter. What can I say, he is perfect. He's almost 18 months old. Unbelievable. Sometimes he seems so cute and little, but mostly he seems older than he is. He says some words, repeats almost everything you ask him to say, and is literally (okay figuratively) half monkey. He climbs on tables, on chairs, on his high chair tray, on the kitchen island, on plant stands, on the piano, basically anywhere he can climb he will. He loves baths, loves his siblings, loves eating about anything (calamari tonight!), and loves giving high fives and knuckles. I love him so much. He melts my heart every single day. But I'll give a more detailed update on him in a few weeks after his 18 month well check.

Josh and I are as busy as ever. Summers are a little slower for Josh for work, but our list of home improvement chores grows by the day and keeps him very busy. He starts up soon with fall sport preparation  so that will be taking over his free time before we know it. I have been teaching a little, but mostly am a stay at home mommy, and I picked up running about 6 months ago. I am running another 5k next weekend. We went to Vegas a few weeks ago, but don't really have any plans to travel anywhere else other than Iowa this year. We have been trying to go to the pool, the zoo, a few Royals games, the park, and other little activities with the kids, but no major family vacations planned for this year.

Well, that's about it for now. As usual I'll try to keep the blog updated as much as I can. It's hard to believe I have been blogging since 2008- since right before Gus joined the family. I am really glad I decided to blog. It is so much fun to be able to go back and look at different posts, to see pictures of the kids, compare the kids as they grow and develop, and just to have an online scrap book of our life over the last 5 years. If you haven't started one, you should. What an enjoyable experience.

Well have an amazing rest of your day, week, month, summer... and enjoy your life as much as you can.

No comments: